I love that Pinterest helps me access the crafty ideas I have stored away in my brain from the teaching days. (Seems like it was a lifetime ago I was in the classroom, not a mere 2.5 years.)
Ya know the ones that are so simple they are brilliant? Colored rice is one of them.
These two wasted no time digging right in. (Frank and Hagrid supervised, of course.)
They thought it was such a blast.
Goofball.
Ethan tasted it, naturally.
Katie just wanted to fill every bucket, holder, scoop, and shovel with it.
They were so excited they even shared the toys!!! (For a little while anyway.)
Mixing it up was the most exciting part.
Here's Ethan carrying around his tiny little cup of rice.
It's his favorite thing to do at the table now.
And because I never make something without first considering how I will manage it (a blessing and a curse) I made this pul polka dot cover to keep moisture and dirt out. Now if I could just figure out how to get the kids to keep the rice inside the table. That'll be the day. I should have taken a picture of the carnage. It was amazing. I think they literally lost half of the rice in one session.
(For a quick reference I will post the measurements/ supplies in the comments section when I am motivated enough to search for it in the abyss that is the office desk. I'm not in the mood right now.)
(1) 32oz bag rice
ReplyDelete1- 1.5 tsp liquid food coloring
3 tsp rubbing alcohol
shake it all up in a plastic bag and lay out in pans to dry
I had beans in our table for about 2 days! It was such a mess I couldn't handle it! Rather just let the sand spill out and not worry about it. I love the cover you made it is great!
ReplyDeleteThanks. Yup...the mess is ridiculous. Hagrid was eating the piles on the ground and getting the runs so we will be putting sand in ours as well. I'm bummed.
ReplyDelete